I’m not talking about my redemption here. Molly redeemed herself on Thursday.

The story begins on Wednesday night. Trina had a lousy night of sleep. Molly has developed a pattern of being really pleasant and sleeping easily during the day, and then at 9 pm, shegets fussy, and increasingly uncomfortable. By 10:00 there is lots of screaming. This continues until midnight or later.

Thursday, Trina came into Bellevue to meet me for lunch. We did the PSE tour where I had my chance to show her off to my co-workers. Lots of ‘Oooh, she’s beautiful’ from the ladies. Molly pretty well slept through that, the walk to the Cheesecake Factory, and lunch. Next is something I thought nothing short of incredible. We were walking back to my office and some guys were doing some work on the sidewalk. Just as we walk by they fire up the pneumatic jackhammer, not 10 feet way. She hardly flinched and never woke while we stood waiting for the walk signal.

That evening she was real sweet and easy to satisfy. At 9:30 pm Molly was sleeping and had recently eaten, so Trina and I decided to take advantage of the situation and hit the sack. I fell asleep instantly as always. At 10:15 Molly woke in a scream. Trina tried feeding her, but that would only last for a couple of minutes and she wouldn’t be satisfied. More crying. New diaper. Nope. Burp the baby…she burps…continues crying. At around 11:00 I took her out to the living room and bounced with her on the balance ball. That would sooth her quite quickly. I’d stop after she was asleep for a few minutes and move to a comfortable chair. She’s stay asleep for about 5 minutes and wake up crying, and back to the balance ball I’d go. This cycle lasted about 15 minutes.

Repeat until 12:30 a.m. when I went back to bed. Trina fed her again, one of us burped her, and I fell asleep at about 1:00 a.m. Molly woke at 4 a.m. crying vociferously. I held her for a couple of minutes while Trina prepared to feed her. Molly gulped for a bit, then was unsatisfiable. I took her out to the living room, turned on Spanish Fly (a fly fishing show) and started bouncing her on the balance ball again. Just like earlier in the night, she was fast asleep. After a few of the bounce-sit-cry cycles she was solidly asleep and I decided to try the swing. Viola! It worked. I managed to nod off some time after 5:00 a.m and slept until 6:00. It was a rough night, but I was okay at work. I can handle one night like that; it is when you start stringing them together that it gets ugly.

Molly redeemed herself on Friday. She suddenly enjoys me bounding her in front of me. She is kicking her legs and is obviously enjoying it. Although she hasn’t smile in response to anything yet, it was a lot of fun and what I’d call our first ‘interaction’.

About jacobvenard

Father, husband, fisheries biologist, fisherman, photographer...
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.